Energy efficient street lighting
Lighting the West
New lights to save money and the environment
We are continuing to reduce greenhouse emissions by upgrading public lighting to more energy efficient technologies.
The changeover is part of a multi-council project called 'Lighting the West', led by Wyndham City Council and also involving Hobsons Bay and Maribyrnong councils.
As part of this project, we have replaced 5,738 street lights and 463 Council owned public lights to more energy efficient technologies.
Why change over our public lights?
Local government is leading the way in environmental sustainability.
Collaborative projects in Victoria have seen 64 of the state's 79 councils implement energy efficient public lighting bulk changeover projects.
The total cost of the changeover in Moonee Valley has been around $2.3 million – with the Federal Government providing us with $700,000.
- Reduce our carbon emissions by more than 2,100 tonnes a year
- Lower our electricity cost by $215,300 annually
- Reduce our maintenance costs by $43,100 annually
- Increase streetscape safety through better lighting
- Promote energy efficiency to the community
Installation of a new LED light at Woodlands Park
New residential street lights