L2P Learner driver mentor program
About the program
The Learner Driver Mentor Program is a VicRoads initiative, funded by the TAC, to assist young learner drivers between the ages of 16–20 years, who face significant barriers to achieving on-the-road driving experience.
These learner drivers are matched with fully-licensed community volunteers who become L2P mentors to work towards achieving 120 mandatory hours of driving practice.
The L2P program further incorporates professional driving lessons for learner drivers to ensure they have basic driving skills and knowledge before being matched with a mentor driver.
This is a community supported initiative and would not be possible without the generosity of our program partners; Essendon Nissan, Morello Motors BP, Victoria Police Moonee Ponds and Bendigo Bank.
Information for Learners
To be eligible for the program you need to meet the following criteria;
- You need to live, work, study or recreate in Moonee Valley
- Be between the age of 16–20 and have your learners permit
- Have no access to a fully licensed driver and/or vehicle
- Be able to commit a minimum of one hour a week to the program
Information for volunteers
Volunteers are required to be available for a minimum one hour a week and are provided with formal training before being matched with a learner. Volunteers and learners have use of the program car for driving hours which is available seven days a week to fit in with their schedules.
Volunteer mentors will:
- Meet with the learner driver for at least one hour per week
- Act in the role of a supervising driver and help the young person build up to 120 hours of driving experience before they sit for their probationary licence
- Listen to and support the learner driver by developing a supportive and ongoing relationship; and
- Have fun with the learner driver!
Expressions of interest
If you would like to register as a learner (docx, 924KB) or volunteer mentor (docx, 53.9KB), simply fill in the appropriate form and return it to:
L2P – Learner Driver Mentor Program Moonee Valley Youth Services
PO Box 126
Moonee Ponds, 3039
Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information
Call 9243 8888 and ask to speak with the Moonee Valley L2P Program Coordinator, or send us an email to email@example.com