Avondale Heights Community Precinct Vision & Master Plan
The Avondale Heights Community Precinct draft Vision and Master Plan (pdf, 2.7MB)
and master plan appendix (pdf, 1.2MB)
was adopted on 5 June 2012.
The Avondale Heights Community Precinct Vision and Master Plan provides a long-term guide for the future use of the parcel of land at the corner of Military Road and Clarendon Street.
It aims to transform the land around Avondale Heights Library and Learning Centre and gymnasium into a wider Avondale Heights Community Precinct.
In addition to the existing library and learning centre, the final proposed uses for the site are:
- An early years centre providing best practice early years infrastructure and services; with two preschool rooms and two maternal and child health consulting suites.
- A multi-purpose community facility expanding on the existing gymnasium and providing space for a range of local education and training, recreation, leisure, social and cultural activities.
- A piazza functioning as a neighbourhood park for play and recreation as well as a wider civic gathering space and community hub.
- An outdoor youth space providing outdoor recreational opportunities for young people of all ages and abilities.
- A cafe/kiosk to support both the existing and proposed uses at the site and foster informal community gatherings and the precinct as a meeting place.
Parking and traffic management infrastructure will provide new traffic, transport and parking measures for the precinct, and we will continue to talk to and update the community about the development of these measures.
The development of the precinct is a long-term project that will take place over a number of stages, subject to funding.
Avondale Heights Library and Learning Centre atrium extension
The Avondale Heights Library and Learning Centre atrium extension has been completed and was formally opened by the Mayor and the Hon. Jeanette Powell MP, Minister for Local Government on 14 March 2013. The atrium provides additional library space for learning and engagement, including a quiet reading are and extra space for library users.
Avondale Heights Community Precinct Early Years Centre
Council completed construction of the Avondale Heights Community Precinct Early Years Centre in January 2014. The brand new community facility includes a dual preschool with a beautiful landscaped children’s play area, as well asMaternal and Child Health consulting suites.
Both preschool and Maternal and Child Health services are now operating from the new centre.
The Avondale Heights Community Precinct Early Years Centre was officially opened by Mayor Cr Jan Chantry and The Hon Wendy Lovell MLC, Minister for Children and Early Childhood Development on Tuesday, 18 March.
View the building progress of this fantastic new facility in the gallery below.
For further information about the Avondale Heights Community Precinct Vision and Master Plan, please contact Kate McCaughey, Development and Major Projects Coordinator on 9243 1030 or firstname.lastname@example.org