Under the Domestic Animal Act 1994, a domestic animal business is:
- an animal shelter (welfare organisations such as the RSPCA and The Lost Dogs' Home)
- a Council pound (operated by Council or a contractor on behalf of Council)
- a pet shop (operated in a permanent location that must be open at least five days per week)
- a dog and/or cat breeding establishment (where there are three or more fertile female dogs or three or more fertile female cats, and animals are sold, and the proprietor is not a member of an Applicable Organisation. If the proprietor is a member or an applicable organisation where there are ten or more fertile female dogs or ten or more fertile female cats, and animals are sold)
- a dog training establishment (where the business is run for profit) or
- an establishment that is rearing dogs or cats (where the business is run for profit) or
- an establishment boarding dogs or cats (where the business is run for profit to provide overnight, daycare or homecare boarding)
To register with us as a domestic animal business for the 2016-2017 year, download and complete the application form (pdf, 156KB).
Domestic Animal Business Permits are renewed annually by 10 April. The permit fee for the current registration year is $200*.
Please note: Half yearly fee ($100) applies from 10 October 2016.
For more information refer to the Department of Environment and Primary Industries Department of Environment and Primary Industries Codes of Practices, which sets out recommended minimum standards and practices for the keeping of a wide range of species and animal related activities or contact our Animal Management team on 9243 8888.