What you need to know

Five ways we’re helping local businesses reopen their doors, outdoors

Dog sitting with owner at cafe

As restrictions ease, more of our businesses will soon be able to open up and trade outdoors.

Here’s some of the ways we’re helping locals get back to business as soon as possible.

1. Summer Parklets Program

We’re turning car parking spaces into pop-up parklets. What’s a parklet? A place to meet, eat and relax, with outdoor seating and greenery. Some or all of the parklets will provide the opportunity for food businesses to extend their outdoor dining options. The program is free for traders. Applications for round one have closed and we’ll be announcing the locations very soon! You can read more about the program here.

2. Extended footpath trading

Your local cafe may not normally offer al fresco dining, but nothing is normal about 2020. We want to help as many businesses as possible offer outdoor dining with free extended footpath trading this year. We want to get dining happening outdoors asap so any applications will be fast-tracked, with simple application forms and decisions made in two working days. Not in the hospitality business? All traders can apply, from clothes shops to yoga studios.

Website dimensions outdoor

To apply for a Footpath Trading Permit, please complete our online Small Business Approvals Application Form.

To extend your footpath dining area, please obtain written consent from your neighbouring properties and email to council@mvcc.vic.gov.au, attention City Compliance,  ensuring that you quote your current Footpath Trading Permit Number.

3. Taking it to the streets

Want to turn a laneway or road into a dining strip? We’re open to proposals by businesses to extend outdoor trading to larger car parks, or via appropriate road and lane closures. These will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

To use private land associated with a venue (i.e. carpark areas), please submit a request via our online Small Business Approvals Application Form, selecting ‘Planning’ as the permit type. You’ll need to upload a number of documents, contact Council’s Economic Development team on 9243 8866 or business@mvcc.vic.gov.au to find out more.

4. Get Active Outdoors

Until fitness studios can reopen, we’re helping Moonee Valley’s personal trainers, coaches, wellness teachers, and all other physical activity practitioners run classes outdoors in our beautiful parks and open spaces. Apply for a free physical activity permit to run classes with more than four participants and we’ll help you find the right spot to run your activity outside. Click here to apply for a permit now.

5. Refunds

Throughout the Covid crisis we’ve allowed businesses to apply for a full refund on 2019/20 Footpath Trading Permits and permits issued for ‘outdoor dining’.  You may also be eligible for a rebate on the renewal fee that you paid for 2020 for food and health related premises. Find out more here.

For more information on any of our recovery programs, speak to one of Council’s customer service officers on 03 9243 8888 or email us at council@mvcc.vic.gov.au.

To find out about other Covid hardship and support offers click here.