All council services have been restored, thank you for your patience. Migration of the website will continue, should you experience any difficulties please email us at

Moonee Valley City Council

Events and recreation permit

Holding your event

The City of Moonee Valley welcomes events which contribute to the vitality of the area and to the social, cultural and economic development of the city.

We are happy to help and support you throughout the planning of your event and highly recommend that you talk to us well in advance to ensure your event can run as smoothly and safely as possible.

Notification of event to emergency services

Event Organisers are responsible in notifying Local Emergency Services of your upcoming event, please upload correspondence to your event application.

Victoria Police Moonee Ponds 766 Mount Alexander Road, Moonee Ponds
Phone: (03) 9373 5200
Fax: (03) 9373 5210
Open 24 hours 
Victoria Police Avondale Heights 162 Military Road, Avondale Heights
Phone: (03) 9337 6777
Fax: (03) 9337 2493
Open 24 hours 
Victoria Police Flemington 30 Wellington Street, Flemington
Phone: (03) 9371 6100
Fax: (03) 9371 6150
Ambulance Victoria

Sustainable events toolkit

Event organisers can play a positive role in implementing and encouraging sustainable activities and behaviour. They can save water and reduce the amount of energy and waste at events. They can also play a role in educating the public and raising awareness of sustainability issues.

We have produced a sustainable events toolkit (pdf, 1.4MB) with tips and advice on how to make your event have a light footprint on the planet by having low waste, low carbon emissions and a low environmental impact.

This toolkit includes a comprehensive range of information and ideas along with a handy checklist for a sustainable event.

For further information and advice contact our Environment Department on 9243 8888.

Community event permits

Any person or wishing to host an event on Council managed land may require permission from Council.

Get in touch with our friendly Sport and Recreation team on 9243 8888 to discuss your event and we can help make sure your chosen location is available, answer any queries you may have and advise you of your responsibilities and the requirements for your event.

Provided all relevant information has been supplied, assessment of your application may take place within four weeks of lodgement. Larger scale community events require additional time for processing and require a minimum 12 weeks notice.

To assist with your planning you may wish to use our Event Risk Management template (375KB)

Do I need a permit for my wedding or event?

We can help get the ball rolling, just answer the simple question below.

Does your event involve one or more of the following?

  • wedding or ceremony (regardless of number of guests)
  • social gatherings or school groups over 100 people

If you answered YES, you will need to submit an event permit application

You will not require an event permit for:

  • social gatherings of less than 100 people (excluding weddings)
  • passive recreational activities
  • indoor events
  • wedding photos only

You are required to submit your application at least four weeks prior to your event.

If you are organising a community event, please visit our community events page.

By getting in touch with us, we can help make sure your desired event location is available, answer any burning questions and give you a run down of your responsibilities. Easy!

Provided all relevant information has been supplied, assessment of your application may take place within four weeks of lodgement.

You will be required to create a log-in account with your email and a password. Once you have commenced a submission you may save and return at a later date to complete. Your application has not been completed until you have hit the submit button and you receive an email confirmation.

For all enquiries please contact Sport and Recreation on 9243 8888.


Personal training

Exercising in our parks is a great way to get fit, but before you begin the hill sprints you may need to apply for a permit.

Personal trainers running group fitness sessions with four or more participants will need a personal training permit.

Trainers can apply by filling out an application form (docx, 144KB) and sending it to:

Moonee Valley City Council
Sport and Recreation Department
PO Box 126
Moonee Ponds VIC 3039

All applications must be submitted with a completed Job Safety Analysis (pdf, 18KB) worksheet.

We offer a number of permit categories to meet the needs of personal trainers, they are:

  • Category A: Regular Commercial User for trainers conducting three or more sessions per week - $1,275.00 (annual) $760.00 (6 monthly)
  • Category B: Regular Commercial User for trainers conducting less than three sessions per week - $330.00
  • Category C: Casual Commercial User for trainers conducting one-off training sessions - $17 per hour
  • Crown Land Permit: for trainers conducting sessions on Crown Land - $296.25
  • Business Permit: enabling businesses to have more than one trainer deliver group fitness sessions - $66.50

Trainers can reserve training venues in Moonee Valley by calling our Sport and Recreation team on 9243 8888 or emailing

Community temporary food events

Anyone who sells food has a responsibility to make sure that the food is safe to eat and will not cause food poisoning.

All community groups/charities intending to operate and sell food at temporary food events must have single state-wide registration/notification. This single approval will cover your events throughout Victoria.

If you do not currently have state-wide registration/notification you must apply online with Streatrader.

Once your principal council has approved your application you will then be able to update and enter details of your events through Streatrader (eg. Statement of Trade). These SOT's on Streatrader will automatically notify the relevant council of your events.

For more information contact us on 9243 8810.

Food handling workshops

Are you a commercial or non-for-profit organisation who operates or is considering operating a temporary food stall in Moonee Valley?

We’re offering free food handling information workshops in September that will cover a range of food safety topics and an introduction to the Streatrader registration process.

Topics will include:

Food safety

  • Temperature control
  • Food storage and display
  • Cleaning and sanitising
  • Personal hygiene
  • Cross contamination
  • Pest control
  • Legal responsibilities
  • Food safety programs and minimum records


  • Understanding your risk level (Class 2, 3 and 4)
  • Understanding what a temporary food event is
  • How to determine who your principle council is
  • Understanding what the difference is between registration/notification and what is a premises
  • How to lodge an application
  • How to lodge a Statement of Trade

Food Safety Program/Minimum Records

You must maintain the following Food Safety Program or mimimum records at your event/s.

  • Class 2 applicants are required to maintain a Food Safety Program at each event.
  • Class 3 applicants must maintain minimum records at each event.
  • Class 4 applicants are not required to keep records however you must ensure any food sold is safe and suitable to consume.

More information

These sites have been designed to assist community group with their Food Safety obligations and free online Food Safety training:

Safe food handling and preparation practices to make sure your premises comply with the Food Act 1984.

If you are setting up a temporary food premise in public (eg. footpath or park), call our Local Laws Unit on 8325 1734.

Temporary road closure or street party

You must obtain a temporary road closure permit for the closure of any part of the road for special events such as:

  • fun runs
  • street parties
  • community events

There will be no fee for the above events.

Applicants must state the following:

  • Date, time, duration and location of the event
  • Purpose of the closure
  • Length of closure (from street to street)
  • Include a copy of public liability insurance of $10 million cover

If you require the closure of any part of a road for the purpose of conducting a street party or gathering, you must apply for a temporary road closure permit by completing the Temporary Road Closure/Street Party online application.

All applications must be submitted to us at least 10 working days before the event.

We are committed to reimbursing residents the fee for public liability insurance.

If for any other reasons there is a road or traffic lane closure, you will need to apply for a Road Occupancy permit (pdf, 396KB) or a Works within a Municipal Road Reserve online application.

Please see our Temporary Road Closure Policy.