What you need to know

Family Services

We recognise that being a parent can be tough so we offer various support to help you and your family in times of need.

COVID-19 update

We continue to support the community during this challenging time by conducting telehealth consultations with follow up in-home support as guided by the Department of Families Fairness and Housing.

We continue to explore new ways to ensure all families get the support they need.

Email fintake@mvcc.vic.gov.au to find out more about services and availability.

Resources to support children's wellbeing and learning from home

We've compiled some online resources for you to use support your child learning at home.

Family services

We work with parents and families to enhance the education, health and wellbeing outcomes for children. We recognise that being a parent can be tough and all families can struggle at times.

We support parents to set goals and take action to do more things that make life easier and change things that make life tough.

Every family is different and we work to suit the needs of each family in their home, community and educational settings. We offer:

  • support with parenting and family relationships
  • support to promote the safety, stability and development of children
  • assistance with children’s behavior and stress management
  • support during pregnancy
  • practical support
  • emotional support
  • information for families to access community resources

In-person assistance is available in languages other than English.

Other Services

We support families to engage with other professionals and services to promote the best education, health and wellbeing outcomes for children.

We also offer:

At times, with permission from families, family services will engage these professionals on behalf of the family to discuss their goals, actions and outcomes. When families are engaged with other council services, you will be invited to a joint meeting with these services to discuss how we can best support you to achieve your goals.

A partnership with your family

Our Family Services team build relationships with families to enhance the education, health and wellbeing of their children. We recognise that being a parent can be challenging and families need support sometimes.

We work alongside families to build on what they are already doing well, and find ways to do things differently if something isn’t working. We build on existing strengths to set realistic goals. Respect is the key value that underpins our work.

How it works

We meet fortnightly in your home at a time that suits your family’s timetable. We map your needs, concerns, hopes and ideas (this could include talking about your past, your family life and your parenting style).

We can work together to set goals, and:

  • create family guidelines and routines
  • apply positive parenting approaches
  • discuss ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

We can advocate on your behalf for assistance with housing, mental health, financial and health services and provide information about school holiday programs, childcare, and recreational and support services in your area.

We can work with your child by talking about strengths, interests, concerns and ideas through art, games and play.

We can support them to deal with emotional challenges (like sadness or anger), and include them in behaviour change plans so they can commit to new ways of doing things.

How to get in touch

If your enquiry is in regards to a referral:

If your enquiry is urgent and requires an immediate response, please contact the following support agencies:

  • Child Protection Intake and Advice (North West Region) – 1300 664 977
  • Police – 000
  • Safe Steps (Domestic and Family Violence Crisis Support) – 1800 015 188
  • Life Line Crisis Support – 13 11 14

Other services

All you need to know about Child restraints

There are laws for the type of restraints children of a certain age need to travel in.

  • birth to 6 months rearward facing restraint
  • 6 months to 4 years rearward or forward facing restraint
  • 4 to 7 years forward facing restraint or booster seat
  • older than 7 years booster seat or adult seatbelt
  • Older than 7 years children are allowed to travel in the front seat.

While the law specifies the minimum, it’s safest to only move your child to the next type of restraint once they outgrow their current restraint. The restraint you choose must meet the Australian standard and be properly fastened and adjusted.

See the RACV website and their brochure for information on child restraints.

Privacy and confidentiality

We are committed to maintaining privacy and confidentiality and operate within our Information Privacy Policy. We also comply with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014, the Health Records Act 2001, the Children, Youth and Families Act 2005, the Child Wellbeing and Safety Act 2005, the Family Violence Protection Act 2008 that govern the sharing of information held by Moonee Valley Family Services and privacy obligations.

The program only collects information necessary to provide the service and to assist participants in the program. The personal information collected is not disclosed without consent of the parent/guardian/carer or where required to do so by law.

Moonee Valley Family Services is a prescribed information sharing entity under both the Child Information Sharing Scheme and Family Violence Information Sharing Scheme and may disclose information provided in accordance with those schemes.

The Freedom of Information Act 1982 provides the right to access information about the participant. Please contact our Privacy Officer (Moonee Valley City Council, PO Box 126, Moonee Ponds, VIC 3039 or call 9243 8888) if you would like to access your information.

Access will be provided, except in the circumstances outlined in the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014, e.g. where information relates to legal proceedings or where the Freedom of Information Act 1982 applies. Incorrect, outdated or inaccurate personal information can also be amended by contacting Council’s Privacy Officer.

Service users have the right to make a complaint if they believe that their personal information has been collected, used or stored inappropriately. Please contact our Privacy Officer, who will investigate the complaint. Alternatively, a complaint can be made to the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner (OVIC), although the Commissioner may decline to hear a complaint if it has not first been addressed with Council. You may contact OVIC by calling 1300 006 842 or visiting the OVIC website.

A copy of our Information Privacy Policy is available upon request or can be viewed at our privacy page.