What you need to know
We provide a free childhood immunisation program administered by fully accredited and experienced nursing staff.
Our immunisation service runs in line with the National Immunisation Program Schedule and includes:
- A childhood immunisation program operating monthly with morning, afternoon and evening sessions available. Due to COVID-19 and until further notice all sessions are now booked appointment times. Please book via the available sessions below.
- A school immunisation program, with three visits per year, attending all secondary schools within the municipality.
- Immunisations to enrol at kindergarten or child care.
Immunisation session information
Our sessions will be operating with some additional measures to protect our community.
- Only one parent/guardian should accompany a child into the session.
- Please do not attend the session if you or your child are unwell and have symptoms of a respiratory infection (such as fever, a sore throat, a runny nose, shortness of breath or a cough) or have returned from overseas in the past 14 days.
- Social distancing requirements of 1.5 metres should be followed at all times.
- Wash your hands or use hand sanitiser provided at the entrance to the session.
To help Council to manage the number of people attending immunisation sessions and to keep track of stock requirements we ask everyone to please book into one of the sessions listed.
Please note: If you are new to the country and have an overseas immunisation history, please forward a translated copy with your child’s full contact details to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not register for a session until this process has been completed and you have been advised by return email. Thank you.
Influenza Program 2020 - Who is eligible free under the National Immunisation Program?
- Children aged six months to less than five years
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged six months and older
- Pregnant women (at any stage of pregnancy)
- People aged 65 years and older
- People aged six months and older with medical conditions, putting them at increased risk of severe influenza and its complications.
Note: Children listed under the above categories, aged under 9 having the vaccine for the first time require 2 doses at least 4 weeks apart. All other age groups require a single dose only.
Please note there has been unprecedented demand for the flu vaccine this year and deliveries are limited. To ensure stock availability please book in to one of the sessions listed.
Changes to upcoming sessions
Change to venues:
Until further notice, all sessions dates and times remain the same as listed below, but will now be held at the one venue - Kellaway Avenue Neighbourhood Centre, Moonee Ponds.
Entry to the venue is via the ramp in the carpark. Please observe the social distancing requirements and not gather in groups in the carpark or around the venue and wait in your car until there is clear access on the ramp to enter the building.
We apologies for any inconvenience this may cause and seek your assistance during this difficult time.
Please note there may be further changes to our schedule. You can stay up to date via this webpage.
Book into one of our upcoming sessions below
- A child must be six weeks old to have their first scheduled immunisation.
- A child must be 12 months to the day or over for their 12 month scheduled vaccination.
- A child must be 4 years to the day or over for the 4 year scheduled vaccination.
- At the end of your session, you and your child will need to wait 15 minutes before leaving in case of a severe reaction (they are rare but tend to happen within a few minutes if they occur). During this time, if you are concerned about your child’s condition return to the nurse immediately.
- Sessions may be cancelled for Occupational Health and Safety reasons in adverse weather conditions (e.g. heatwaves). Call 9243 8888 for more information or see our community safety page for information on heatwaves.
- From 1 January 2016, your child must be up-to-date with their immunisations to enrol at kindergarten or child care. For more information go to No Jab, No Play.