We extend our love to those who are questioning, exploring, or even struggling with gender identity, sexual orientation, and/or attractions. We are here to offer you a safe and affirming space to be yourself. We feel your strength and your resilience, and we extend our compassion.
Above all, we are here to let you know that you are not alone.
Moonee Valley City Council is committed to assuring respect and support for our LGBTQIA+ community.
We stand in solidarity with everyone who identifies as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, gender-diverse, intersex, non-binary & queer (LGBT+) community. LGBTIQA+ communities are included as a target population in MV2040. This means that Council will actively work towards including LGBTIQA+ communities across all its work through meaningful engagement and activities that promote inclusion and acceptance.
Support Services and Connection
- Qlife — Australia-wide anonymous and free LGBTI peer support for people wanting to talk about sexuality, identity, gender, bodies, feelings or relationships. Call 1800 184 527 or webchat 3pm-12am AEST.
- Minus 18 — Resources help and guidance for Australia's LGBTIQ youth.
- Black Rainbow — Australia's leading Indigenous suicide prevention and mental health support source for LGBTQ+ people.
- PFLAG Australia — Parents, Family and Friends of Lesbians and Gays.
- Trans Pride Australia — Social and support group for trans and gender diverse people and their loved ones.
- Intersex Peer Support — An intersex peer support, information and advocacy group for people born with variations in sex characteristics.
- Intersex Human Rights Australia — Support and education by and for people with intersex variation traits.
- Headspace — Australia-wide online, phone and in-person support and counselling to young people, their families and friends. Call 1800 650 890 (9am-1am).
- ReachOut — ReachOut.com helps under 25s with everyday questions through to tough times.
- Switchboard — Anonymous and free telephone counselling, information and referrals for the LGBTQIA+ communities of Victoria and Tasmania.
- Zoe Belle Gender Centre (ZBGC) — An online service supporting the health and wellbeing of Victoria's sexuality and gender-diverse community, with information available to anyone in Australia.
- Thorne Harbour Health — Offers a range of programs and services for people living with HIV and sex, sexuality and gender diverse communities.
- Queerspace — An LGBTIQ+ health and wellbeing support service with a focus on relationships, families, parenting and young people.
- Rainbow Door — A free specialist helpline for LGBTIQA+ Victorians, their friends and family. The service is also connected to a multi-language interpreter support service, including Auslan interpreters.
- COVID-19 Mental Health Resources — Mental health support for LGBTIQ+ Victorians is available through the Coronavirus website.
Australian Queer Archives
The Australian Queer Archives (AQuA) collects, preserves and celebrates material from the lives and experiences of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and gender diverse, intersex, queer, Brotherboy and Sistergirl (LGBTIQ+) Australians.
The Victorian Pride Centre Queer Archives
This collection is the largest repository of historical materials about LGBTIQ experience in Australia. Established in 1978, the Archives is a predominantly volunteer-run, community-based organisation.
Victorian Queer Archives
The Australian Queer Archives (AQuA - formerly the Australian Lesbian and Gay Archives, ALGA) is a non-profit organisation committed to the collection and preservation of material reflecting the lives and experiences of Australian lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, brotherboy and sistergirl life.