What you need to know

Accessible Moonee Valley

We are committed to a more inclusive and accessible city, where everyone can access everything and feel empowered to do so.

Assessing services and support

We offer a range of community services, inclusion opportunities and support options for people with a disability who are not eligible for the NDIS.

National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)

The NDIS is available for people under the age of 65 who have a significant or permanent disability. For more information about the NDIS click here

Home and Community Care Program for Younger Persons (under 65)

The HACC PYP program offers a range of social programs to promote social connections and build capacity with activities of daily living. To enquire:

  1. Email our Access & Inclusion Team on access&inclusion@mvcc.vic.gov.au.
  2. Contact (03) 9243 8888 and ask to speak with the Team Leader Disability Access & Inclusion.
  3. Fill in this registration form and we will contact you.

Our social programs include:


Moonee Valley Libraries offers books in alternate formats such as e-books, e-audio, large print and talking.

Caring for Carers

Moonee Valley City Council is committed to ensuring all carers feel recognised and supported in their caring role. Register for our carers program.

  • Exercise program
  • Social club
  • Active Pathways program

Accessing the community

The MPAC mobility map provides information about accessible facilities in the Moonee Ponds Activity Precinct. Hard copies are available at Civic Centre, 9 Kellaway Avenue Moonee Ponds.


Public amenities

Accessible parking

Need a disabled parking permit? Click here to find out how to apply for the new APP Scheme.

The MPAC mobility map shows accessible car parks. To find more accessible parking in Moonee Valley download the Park Moonee Valley App

Accessible venues

Try one of our community centres or halls for an accessible affordable venue.

  • A hearing loop has been installed at the Clocktower Centre.
  • Assistant listening devices are available to members of the public attending meetings in Council Chambers.

Accessing transport

Our public transport system includes train, trams and bus services. Trains are the most accessible type of public transport for people with a disability. If you are unable to use public transport there are other options available.

Public transport

Public Transport Victoria’s (PTV) website provides information on the accessibility of transport. Information is also available for vision or hearing impaired people. You can also find out about travelling with mobility aids


Moonee Valley trains are on the Craigieburn Line. You can use PTV’s journey planner to plan your trip or call PTV on 1800 800 007 or the National Relay Service on 133 677.

For each station click on the Accessibility tab to view the accessible facilities: Newmarket, Ascot Vale, Moonee Ponds, Essendon, Strathmore and Flemington Showgrounds.


At present Moonee Valley’s tram stops are not accessible for people with mobility aids.  For more information, see Yarra Trams accessibility information.


Most buses in Moonee Valley are low-floor and accessible for people with a disability. To find out if the buses at your stop are accessible, call Public Transport Victoria on 1800 800 007

Assistance animals

Animals can come with you on public transport under certain conditions. You can get an Animal Assistance Pass if you need a trained assistance animal to help you on public transport.

Travel passes for people with a disability and carers

Taxis and ridesharing services

The Multi Purpose Taxi Program (MPTP) offers subsidised fares for people with severe and permanent disabilities.

Wheelchair accessible taxis can transport people who need to travel in their wheelchairs. You will need to call to book an accessible taxi and some companies included:

Ridesharing services

Ridesharing services Uber and Shebah are booked from mobile phone apps. These vehicles may not be wheelchair accessible. Please contact these companies directly if you need an accessible vehicle.

Community transport

Council provides community transport for people with a disability and older adults.

Make your event accessible

Making events and activities fun and accessible for everyone is a fundamental step in the process of building an inclusive community - here are some handy tips and hints.

Our Include Everyone Guide (pdf, 174KB)accessible word version (docx, 28KB) has handy tips and ideas to ensure that people with disability can fully participate in activities and events in Moonee Valley.

It includes information and checklists:

  • planning your event
  • accessible spaces
  • inclusive communication
  • staff and support

For downloadable versions of the disability access symbols used in this guide, visit the Graphic Artists Guild website.

Accessing attractions and accommodation

Moonee Valley is a great place to play and stay. Here are just some things you can do and see.

Places to go

Places to stay

Booking.com has a search function for accessible hotels.

Wheelchair accessible hotels in Moonee Valley are:

Accessing sport and recreation

Moonee Valley has lots of great sports and recreational opportunities for everyone.


Moonee Valley sport and recreation

Choosing a sport

Looking for a sport but not sure which one to try?  Disability Sport and Recreation (DSR) Victoria has produced a series of videos made by some of Victoria’s sport and active recreation providers, regional sporting associations and service/equipment provider to help you find the sport that’s right for you.

Local sporting opportunities

Sporting opportunities across Melbourne and Victoria

Resources for individuals

Resources for clubs

Want to create a more disability-inclusive culture at your club?

Talk to someone:


  • Sports for Everyone Guide developed by The Hobson’s Bay Community Fund helps clubs to be inclusive by providing great tips for including people living with disability.

Training programs:

  • SOA Learn is a series of training modules that helps sports clubs to include people with a disability.
  • All Play has developed resources and training programs to help clubs include children in AFL footy and dance programs.

Club grounds and facility guide:

Grants and funding opportunities

  • Vic Health provides grant opportunities to help make your facilities more accessible and inclusive.
  • AAA Grants provides a list of organisations who providing funding for inclusive initiatives
  • Moonee Valley City Council offers grants that can assist community members and groups with funding for inclusion. Sign up here to find out when grants become available,
  • The Grants Hub is Australia’s leading search directory for information on local, state and national grant opportunities.


Accessing housing

For people with a disability looking for a place to live can be a challenging and exciting time. There are lots of things to think about when you would like to move into your own home.

  • the types of houses that best meet your needs
  • the skills you need to live on your own
  • how to use your NDIS funding to reach your housing goals
  • housing advocacy and support services.

Choosing your home

The Summer Foundation's My Housing Preferences Tool is a workbook you can use to help you to think about the type of house that might best meet your needs.

This tool helps you to:

  • Think about moving
  • Plan your move
  • How to make your move happen
  • Provides a Moving Checklist

Mainstream housing

Mainstream housing is housing that anyone can live in. You do not have to have a disability to live in mainstream housing so some houses may not meet your access needs.

Mainstream housing options can include:

  • Private rental is housing that is available to rent in the private rental market. Private rental housing can include houses, units and apartments.
  • Public housing is a long-term form of social housing rental for people who are assessed to need it most. This can include people who have experienced homelessness, family violence or have additional support needs.
  • Community housing is a form of long-term, affordable rental housing which is managed by not-for-profit organisations. Community housing is for people who have very low incomes or have additional needs.
  • Homeownership is a home you already own or have borrowed money from the bank to buy.
  • Home sharing is when you share a home with other people. Each person in the home will have their own space but share rooms such as the lounge room, kitchen, laundry and bathroom.

Accessible & supported living

  • Moveable units can be moved and set up in the backyard of a carer, friend or relative. Moveable units can help people with a disability or older people live more independently.
  • Supported accommodation is housing that comes with support for people with a high level of care needs. Supported housing is for people with a disability or older people who are unable to live independently.
  • Supported residential services (SRS) are privately owned businesses which provide accommodation for people who need help with everyday living. Read more about supported residential services.

Specialist disability accommodation

Specialist disability accommodation (SDA) is for people who have very high physical support or safety needs. SDA offers funding for an NDIS approved house or apartment.  Only a small percentage of people with a disability are eligible for SDA and most people with a disability will need to find mainstream housing and use their NDIS funds to help them live more independently. 

The Summer Foundation has developed some resources for people who are eligible for SDA:

  1. The pathway to SDA
  2. SDA payments guide

Finding a home

  • The Housing Hub is a new way for people with disability to find housing. The Housing Hub advertises vacancies for accessible apartments and houses that are owned by housing providers.
  • Disability Housing  lists houses for sale and for rent.
  • Housing Choices Australia houses people with disability in the city and rural areas of Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania.
  • Endeavour can help people with disability live on their own through a range of housing options.
  • The NDIS Find a Housemate Facebook page helps people with disability and their carers to connect with other NDIS participants who would like to live more independently.
  • Domain and Realestate.com are websites that help you to find mainstream housing to rent or buy.

Living on your own

Moving into your own home is an exciting and busy time. There are a number of tasks and skills you may need to learn or things you may need help with in order to live more independently.

Household tasks

Some of the tasks you may need to do when you live on your own can include:

  • cooking and making meals
  • shopping
  • cleaning
  • washing your clothes.

For videos and apps to help with household tasks and living more independently, use the Autism Launchpad website.

Money and budgeting

Learning about money and budgeting is an important part of living on your own.

  • Rent assistance may be available to people who receive a regular payment from Centrelink.
  • The bond loan scheme is an interest-free loan scheme that can help you pay your rent bond.
  • MoneySmart has a simple money management tool that can help you to manage your money and plan for your expenses.
  • Centrepay is a free bill paying service and can arrange regular deductions from your Centrelink payment.

Staying safe

The Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities has some helpful tips about how to stay safe in your homeout and about in your community and when you are online.

Need some help?

Support services

  • Your NDIS funding can be used to employ someone to assist you with your personal care and tasks around the home.
  • Local area coordinators can help you find someone to help you around the home and services that help you to learn new skills to live independently.
  • Clickability is a website where you an search for workers and service providers who and help you learn the skills you need to live more independently.
  • Council offers services and supports to help you live at home for people who are not eligible for the NDIS but need some assistance with daily living.

Housing advocacy and support

Disability housing

The Summer Foundation has resources for:

  • People with disability
  • Service providers who are working toward people’s housing goals
  • Community Housing

Youth Disability Advocacy Services (YDAS) offers free advocacy service for people with a disability aged between 12-25.

Action for More Independence & Dignity in Accommodation (AMIDA) is a disability advocacy group for people with a disability who are having problems with their accommodation and housing.

Mainstream housing

Wombat Housing’s Tenancy Plus Support Program assists social housing tenants in the inner west to establish, strengthen, or maintain their tenancy.

Tenants Victoria offers free advice to tenants living in private rental, social housing and rooming houses.

Housing advocacy hero

Disability Advisory Committee

The Moonee Valley Disability Advisory Committee (DAC) provides us with a forum to consult with community members and seek specialist advice around disability.

The DAC is comprised of a selection of people with disabilities, their family or carers, who represent a cross section of the local community and reside in different geographic locations across Moonee Valley.

The purpose of the DAC is to:

  • Provide advice to Council on issues relating to disability access, inclusion, communication, participation and advocacy.
  • Identify issues affecting people with a disability, and advocate, and promote an awareness and understanding of these within Council and the community.
  • Support and advise Council on the development and implementation of the Moonee Valley City Council’s Disability Access and Inclusion Plan 2014-2023.
  • Provide staff with support and advice around the operational aspects of disability service delivery, future initiatives and overarching actions plans that relate to people with disability and our MV2040 strategy.

Community members are encourage to contact the DAC directly should they have any issues relating to access or inclusion, or suggestions around how to make Moonee Valley a more inclusive space for all community members.

The DAC can be contacted via email at mooneevalleyDAC@gmail.com or phone the Metro Access Officer on 9243 1405.