Moonee Valley City Council

Hold an event

Holding your event

The City of Moonee Valley welcomes events which contribute to the vitality of the area and to the social, cultural and economic development of the city.

We are happy to help and support you throughout the planning of your event and highly recommend that you talk to us well in advance to ensure your event can run as smoothly and safely as possible.

Notification of event to emergency services

Event Organisers are responsible in notifying Local Emergency Services of your upcoming event, please upload correspondence to your event application.

Victoria Police Moonee Ponds 766 Mount Alexander Road, Moonee Ponds
Phone: (03) 9373 5200
Fax: (03) 9373 5210
Open 24 hours 
Victoria Police Avondale Heights 162 Military Road, Avondale Heights
Phone: (03) 9337 6777
Fax: (03) 9337 2493
Open 24 hours 
Victoria Police Flemington 30 Wellington Street, Flemington
Phone: (03) 9371 6100
Fax: (03) 9371 6150
Ambulance Victoria

Sustainable events toolkit

Event organisers can play a positive role in implementing and encouraging sustainable activities and behaviour. They can save water and reduce the amount of energy and waste at events. They can also play a role in educating the public and raising awareness of sustainability issues.

We have produced a sustainable events toolkit (pdf, 1.4MB) with tips and advice on how to make your event have a light footprint on the planet by having low waste, low carbon emissions and a low environmental impact.

This toolkit includes a comprehensive range of information and ideas along with a handy checklist for a sustainable event.

For further information and advice contact our Environment Department on 9243 8888.

Community temporary food events

Anyone who sells food has a responsibility to make sure that the food is safe to eat and will not cause food poisoning.

All community groups/charities intending to operate and sell food at temporary food events must have single state-wide registration/notification. This single approval will cover your events throughout Victoria.

If you do not currently have state-wide registration/notification you must apply online with Streatrader.

Once your principal council has approved your application you will then be able to update and enter details of your events through Streatrader (eg. Statement of Trade). These SOT's on Streatrader will automatically notify the relevant council of your events.

For more information contact us on 9243 8810.

Food Safety Program/Minimum Records

You must maintain the following Food Safety Program or mimimum records at your event/s.

  • Class 2 applicants are required to maintain a Food Safety Program at each event.
  • Class 3 applicants must maintain minimum records at each event.
  • Class 4 applicants are not required to keep records however you must ensure any food sold is safe and suitable to consume.

More information

These sites have been designed to assist community group with their Food Safety obligations and free online Food Safety training:

Safe food handling and preparation practices to make sure your premises comply with the Food Act 1984.

If you are setting up a temporary food premise in public (eg. footpath or park), call our Local Laws Unit on 8325 1734.

Event management fact sheets

Planning and managing an event is no easy feat. These fact sheets linked below are here to guide you in the right direction. They offer resources and the right contact you can get more information from if you need.

Fact sheets

1. Site Plan

2. Temporary Structures

3. Stall Holders

4. Amusements

5. Music Performance

6. Noise

7. Public Safety

8. Food Safety

9. Alcohol Regulations

10. Security

11. Fireworks and Pyrotechnics

12. Emergency Management

13. Environmental Sustainability

14. Waste Management

15. Toilets

16. Traffic Management

17. Road Closures

18. Accessibility for All

19. Signage and Entrances

20. Marketing and Promotions

21. Financial Management

22. Risk Management

23. Communications

24. Insurance

25. Indigenous Protocols

26. Permits and Licences

Event and recreation permits

  • All
  • Events and recreation permit

Wedding ceremony permit

Do I need a permit for my wedding or event? Does your event involve one or more of the following? wedding or ceremony (regardless of number of guests) social gatherings or school groups over 100 people If you answered YES, you will need to submit an event permit application You will not require an event…

Temporary road closure or street party

You must obtain a temporary road closure permit for the closure of any part of the road for special events such as: fun runs street parties community events There will be no fee for the above events. Applicants must state the following: Date, time, duration and location of the event Purpose of the closure Length…

Personal training permit

Exercising in our parks is a great way to get fit, but before you begin the hill sprints you may need to apply for a permit. Personal trainers running group fitness sessions with four or more participants will need a personal training permit. Trainers can apply by filling out an application form (docx, 144KB) and sending it…

Community event permits

If you are looking to host an event on Council managed land may require a permit. An event permit is required if your event: involves more than 100 people involves temporary structures (e.g. marquees, stages, lighting)*     is a fair or festival involves the sale of food or drink requires road closures or changes to…