What you need to know
We are committed to ensuring all carers feel recognised and supported in their caring role
Did you know, Australia has over 2.7 million unpaid Carers, which accounts for 12% of the population?
Carers are people who provide unpaid emotional, social and/or financial support to family members and friends who have a disability, mental illness, chronic condition, terminal illness or are of a frail age.
Support for Carers Program
The Victorian Support for Carers Program (SCP) provides tailored flexible supports to Carers based on the specific needs of the Carer.
Our Carers Support Officer works with closely with the Carer to facilitate access to:
- Counselling, services and supports. For example support to apply for Centrelink benefits, or connection to local Carer Support Groups.
- Flexible and emergency respite. For example when there are changes in the caring role and these cannot be supported promptly through existing services.
- Goods and equipment that strengthen their capacity to maintain unpaid carer role. For example funds to purchase new glasses for the Carer.
This work is in collaboration with the Carer and includes navigating the existing service systems that are available and exploring other potential options in the community.
Council's Carers Programs
By registering as a Carer with Moonee Valley City Council, you will have access to programs, events and information. All of our activities aim to promote Carers health and overall wellbeing.
Our programs include:
- Weekly exercise, chair yoga and meditation program
- Monthly Carers walk and brunch
- The Lab Program (respite for Carers of young people with ASD)
- Weekly choir group
- Early Morning Walking Group
- Monthly social catch up held on the last Friday of each month, alternating between day time and evening. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 9243 8781 for more information
Caring for Carers is our monthly email newsletter. Subscribe and you will receive ongoing updates and access to resources, information, programs and events for Carers in Moonee Valley via email. It's the best way to keep in touch and up-to-date with news and events!
Carer Support Groups in the Area
There are groups and organisations in our City who offer support activities for Carers. Find one that suits you.
Need a little time for yourself?
Moonee Valley City Council has several in-home and community-based respite programs available that can help you take a little break.
Have you heard of these programs we offer?
- Home and Community Care Programs for Young People (HACC-PYP)
- Commonwealth Home Support Package (CHSP)
- Home Care Packages for Seniors
You can also find out if you’re eligible by phoning us on 9243 8806.
Resources for Carers
Local Carer stories
Meet a few of our inspirational Moonee Valley Carers!