What you need to know


Rates help Council support over 200 community services, maintain infrastructure such as roads, buildings and parks, and plan for the future by building new infrastructure.

What is rate capping?

The State Government’s rate cap means our total rate revenue can’t go up more than 1.5 per cent from last year.

This has placed significant pressure on Council. To ensure long-term financial sustainability, we aim to save $2.5 million each year in operating costs, which will be used to renew community assets.

Rate capping does not apply to individual notices, so yours may be more or less, depending on how your property valuation compares to others.



We then add waste charges and the fire services property levy (set by State Government) to create your rates bill, you can find out more about how rates are calculated here.

When are rates due?

Please note, you don't need to pay in full, but you are more than welcome to by no later than 30 September 2021. You can read about some of the frequently asked questions we receive about rates here.

Paying in instalments:

  • First instalment is due: 30 September 2021
  • Second instalment is due: 30 November 2021
  • Third instalment is due: 28 February 2022
  • Final instalment is due: 31 May 2022

How do I pay?

The EasyWay Payment Plan allows ratepayers to make payments via:

  • an Australia Post outlet
  • BPAY
  • credit or debit card over the phone
  • online
  • in person at the Civic Centre (9 Kellaway Avenue, Moonee Ponds)

How can I change my name/address?

If you want to update your name or mailing address details you need to let us know in writing.


and send to:

Email: council@mvcc.vic.gov.au
Mail: PO Box 126, Moonee Ponds 3039
Fax: 9377 2100

How can I receive my rates notice?

Post: The 2021/2022 Annual Rate and Valuation Notice will be posted out progressively from mid-August 2021 to mid-September 2021.

Email: You can save time and the environment by signing up to receive your rates notice via email.

Just register here with the eNotice reference number on your latest rates notice.

BPAY View: BPAY View sends bills and statements straight to the same online or mobile bank you use to pay them.  To register, log into your online banking account, look for the BPAY View section and enter:

  • The Biller Code: 93658
  • Your BPAY View registration number(s): use your BPAY reference number as shown on your rate notice
  • Your name: enter the name exactly as it appears in the first line from the address block on your notice.

If you do not receive your notice, contact council@mvcc.vic.gov.au. or call 9243 8888.

Be aware, we can't accept non-receipt of a rates notice as a valid excuse for late payment.

Can I claim a pensioner rebate?

From 1 July 2021 the maximum annual municipal rates concession amount will be $247 and Fire Services Property Levy rebate $50. Council provide an additional $20 for each eligible pension application (one per household maximum).

You may be entitled to a pension rebate if you hold either of:

  • Pensioner Concession Card (PCC)
  • Veterans' Affairs Gold Card (given for TPI, War Widow, EDA or POW)

To claim, complete a Municipal Rates Concession Application Form and make sure:

  • the name and address on the card are the same as on your application form.
  • the property listed in your application is your primary place of residence
  • you supply a photocopy of your card, front and back.

Return the application form along with all attachments to:

Moonee Valley City Council
PO Box 126
Moonee Ponds VIC 3039

Or scan documents and email to council@mvcc.vic.gov.au

What if I'm having trouble paying?

If you are in financial difficulty and are unable to make your payment, please call us on 9243 8888 to work out a payment plan.

What happens if my rates are overdue?

Overdue rates and charges attract penalty interest from the due date of the unpaid instalment and only for the instalment amount that was due. Penalty interest is charged at 10 per cent per annum as fixed under the Penalty Interest Rate Act 1983.

Interest Policy

Interest will be charged on all outstanding rates and charges if not paid by the instalment due dates, without exception. Interest will be charged at 10 per cent per annum as fixed under the Penalty Interest Rate Act 1983.

Applying for an exemption

We will consider requests to have interest waived if there are exceptional circumstances involved. To request this, please write to us stating why the interest should be waived and include any documentation that supports this.

We cannot accept postal delays or non-receipt of rates notice as a reason for us to waive the interest. It is a ratepayer's responsibility to make sure that rates are paid on time.

Overdue 2020/2021 rates

We are still following up outstanding rates and charges from 2020/2021. Late or non-payments still accrue interest and if you have not paid your rates, you may be liable for further legal action. A warning notice about arrears is specified on your annual rate notice.

We will refer ratepayers who have not paid their rates in full, and who have not contacted us to make an arrangement, to our Debt Collection Company to recover the amounts owing.

If you have received a letter from our solicitors, ML&C Collections, please respond as soon as possible to avoid legal action. As the ratepayer you will be responsible for payment of any additional charges incurred.


What are revaluations used for?

House valuations help determine how much of the rates revenue you pay compared to others. That way, everyone pays their fair share.

Valuations are performed annually by the Valuer General to reflect your property's current market value as at 1 January. They analyse property sales and rental advice.

House prices have no impact on the rates revenue that Council collects, as this is capped at a 1.5 per cent increase from last year. No matter what property values do, we only collect the amount of money in rates we determined when the budget was adopted.

How do I object to my valuation?

Ratepayers have a right under section 16,17 & 18 of the Valuation Act 1960 to object to the property valuation. Any objections must be lodged within 2 (two) months of the rate notice being issued. Should you wish to formally object to the valuation, you may do so by visiting the Valuer-General Victoria (VGV) online portal and submitting your application for review.

Any questions around valuations can be discussed directly with our valuation team on 9243 8888.

How do I get a land information certificate?

Apply for a land information certificate online. 

The cost of Land Information Certificates is Standard $27.40 and Priority $57.

I need to talk to someone about my rates...

If you have any concerns about your rates notice or would like more information on valuations please call us on 9243 8888.

Rates charges

The rate or charge indicated in your rate notice is typically made up of the following four elements:

  • General Rate: A rate based on the value of your land and building(s). This value is known as Capital Improved Value (CIV). We may charge a differential rate for similar types of properties.
  • Municipal Charge: A charge applied to every rateable assessment in the City of Moonee Valley, including vacant land. This charge covers some of our administrative costs.
  • Garbage charge: You will note that you are no longer paying an environment charge. Instead we have adopted a fairer, user-pays garbage charge. If you currently have your garbage collected by a private company you will not be charged the garbage charge.
  • Non-Residential Vacant Land Properties: In the 2016/17 budget Council made the decision to remove the Non-Residential Vacant Land Properties and instead include them within the Non-Residential Properties differential. The category was first established to discourage land banking however, very few properties have fallen within it for more than a two year period.
  • Optional green waste service: Households that choose to use the fortnightly collection of a green waste service will be charged $76.90 per service. Eligible pensioners who already receive the State Government rate rebate will be charged $46.10 per service.
Residential Properties 0.00189289 0.00187485 -0.95%
Non-Residential Properties 0.00232826 0.00230606 -0.95%
Cultural and Recreational Properties 0.00189289 0.00187485 -0.95%
Municipal 151.65 153.90 +1.48%
Garbage charge 187.40 248.20 +32.39%
Green Waste services charge 67.70 76.90 +13.59%
Green Waste services charge (pensioner) 40.80 46.10 +12.99%
Additional Bin charge n/a 248.10 +100%