What you need to know


What is a complaint?

A complaint to Council can be either verbal or written. You can submit a complaint about:
  • the quality of an action taken, decision made or service provided by Council Officers or our contractors.
  • a delay by Council Officers or our contractors in taking an action, making a decision or delivering a service.
  • a policy or decision made by the Council, Council Officers or our contractors.

What is not a complaint?

The following items (and more) can be reported via the My Council Portal:

  • requesting something new from Council
  • lodge an application
  • a street tree needing a trim or branches down after a storm
  • potholes
  • dumped rubbish or missed bins
  • illegally parked cars
  • graffiti

How to submit your complaint

  • Online: via the form below
  • Telephone: Call our customer service team on 03 9243 8888 (see our opening hours)
  • Post: Addressed to Moonee Valley City Council, PO Box 126, Moonee Ponds VIC 3039
  • In-person: At our Civic Centre, 8 Kellaway Avenue, Moonee Ponds (see our opening hours)

Need help making a complaint?

If you require support to make a complaint, please contact us. We have a range of services available to assist you, including: interpreters, audio assistance, and forms in accessible formats.

Submit a complaint online

What happens next?

  • Dec 10, 2021

    1. Investigation

    If we are unable to resolve your complaint immediately, we will refer it to a manager or delegated council officer for investigation.

    We value the health, wellbeing and safety of our staff and community as our number one priority.

  • Dec 10, 2021

    2. Internal review

    If you are unhappy with how your complaint has been handled, or have concerns about the decisions made, you may request an internal review. Here is the process we will undertake if you request an internal review:

    Internal review

    • If a complainant believes Council has made a wrong decision, they can request an internal review.
    • A senior officer not involved in the original complaint will conduct this independent review and look at whether the complaint should have been dealt with differently. This investigation can lead to the original decision being upheld or overturned.

    Internal reviews include:

    • Acknowledgement of the review request
    • Explanation of the process, including the timelines for conducting the review, what it will and will not look at, and the possible outcomes
    • Providing the complainant and any other parties with an opportunity to present their case
    • Providing a written outcome, together with reasons, and detail any remedies. This may need to be in simple English or with support depending on the resident and their preferences.
    • External review option (Ombudsman), if parties are dissatisfied with the outcome.
  • Dec 10, 2021

    3. External review

    If you remain dissatisfied with the handling of your complaint or about the decisions made following the internal review, you may seek an external review.

    The Ombudsman can be contacted through the following channels:

  • Dec 10, 2021

    Unreasonable Complaints

    Council officers will do their best to resolve your complaint, but sometimes there are times this cannot occur regardless of our efforts.

    To assist us with challenging and unreasonable behaviours we apply the Victorian Ombudsman's Framework 2020-2024  to assist us and provide clarity to you on how we will manage your complaint.

    Unfortunately, this could lead to limiting a resident’s access to services depending on the situation. If this Is likely to occur we will advise you. You will have the right to request a review of your decision.