What you need to know

Solar panels and heritage requirements

Live in a Heritage Overlay area and looking to install solar panels? You've come to the right place.

MVCC Housing 1039 medium

Council supports the installation of solar panels in Heritage Overlay areas

This information is relevant if your property is in a Heritage Overlay and you are looking to install solar panels. If your property is not located in a Heritage Overlay, click here for advice on reducing your environmental footprint, including installing solar panels.

Installing solar panels (both for solar hot water systems and photovoltaic [PV] systems) provides the opportunity to save on electricity bills and reduce your carbon footprint, with hundreds being installed in Moonee Valley every year.

Sometimes there are heritage and environmental factors that must be considered. In most instances a planning permit won’t be required, but if it is, we’re here to help find a solution that works for you, and respects the heritage place.

Your solar power journey

My property is in a Heritage Overlay area. Do I need a permit to install solar panels?

In 2018, changes were made to the Victorian Planning Provisions (VPP), to exempt the installation of solar panels in Heritage Overlay areas from requiring a planning permit as long as the system is located so it is not visible from a street (other than a lane), or public park. If this can’t be accommodated, then a VicSmart planning application is required.

Council has waived the fee for pre-application meetings for enquiries exclusively for the installation of solar panels, and if you do need to lodge a VicSmart planning application, Council has reduced the fee by 50%; to help you on your solar powered journey.

AdobeStock 26233830
MVCC Housing

Where should I locate solar panels on my property?

Guidance regarding how and where to locate domestic services and sustainability measures (including the installation of solar panels) can be found in the City of Moonee Valley Heritage Guidelines. The relevant section is provided below.

Please view the City of Moonee Valley Heritage Guidelines for further information and guidance regarding development and works in Heritage Overlay areas.

Great, but do I need a permit?

We've put together three diagrams with guidance to help you judge if you need to apply for a planning permit.

What about the orientation of solar panels?

Solar panels can sit at a variety of angles and directions and achieve high levels of solar energy generation. This may include solar panels that are flat mounted or on a frame.

This means that in most instances it’s possible to install solar panels in locations that don’t require a permit, while meeting your energy needs. For further information, please consult with your solar installer.

Still not sure?

Not a problem! We’re here to help. Please feel free to call the Statutory Planning team on (03) 9243 9111. We will be happy to talk through whether you need a permit, and the application process if you do.

For any questions specifically relating to solar panels and solar energy systems, please be in touch with your solar installer.

Solar panels on heritage buildings

How to apply for a planning permit

Okay, I have spoken to Council and I need a permit for my solar panels. What do I need to include with my application? What happens next?

To receive your permit, you will need to buy a current certificate of title from Victorian Land Registry Services https://www.landata.vic.gov.au/ and then complete a VicSmart planning permit application.

A VicSmart planning permit application is a straight forward process, with a 10 day turn around. Please follow the steps below.

Other helpful resources

Heritage, planning and sustainability in Moonee Valley:

External websites

Below are a number of websites that may help you on your solar energy journey, including links to rebate programs that will significantly reduce the installation of a solar energy system.

Need more support? No problems. We are here to help.

Get in touch with our Statutory Planning team for further information and assistance today.