What you need to know
Councillors are voted in by residents every four years, to represent the community and make decisions regarding a large range of issues. Moonee Valley is made up of three wards - Rose Hill, Buckley and Myrnong, and each ward is represented by three Councillors.
Role of Councillors
The Local Government Act 2020 tells us that a Councillor's primary role is to work with Council to provide good governance for the benefit and well-being of our whole community.
In representing their local communities, the Act states Councillors must ensure that:
- Council decisions are to be made and actions taken in accordance with the relevant law;
- priority is to be given to achieving the best outcomes for the municipal community, including future generations;
- the economic, social and environmental sustainability of the municipal district, including mitigation and planning for climate change risks, is to be promoted;
- the municipal community is to be engaged in strategic planning and strategic decision making;
- innovation and continuous improvement is to be pursued;
- collaboration with other Councils and Governments and statutory bodies is to be sought;
- the ongoing financial viability of the Council is to be ensured;
- regional, state and national plans and policies are to be taken into account in strategic planning and decision making;
- the transparency of Council decisions, actions and information is to be ensured.
Each November, Council also elects the Mayor and Deputy Mayor to lead the team for the year ahead.
For more information about the role of Councillors, visit the Know Your Council website.
Councillors elect the Mayor and Deputy Mayor. They may choose to elect the Mayor for a one or two year term, during the four year Council term. The current Mayor is Cr Cam Nation and the Deputy Mayor is Cr Katrina Hodgson; they were elected for a one-year term in October, 2020.
Here is a list of previous Mayors:
|1997-98||Cr Eugene Hammer|
|1998-99||Cr Hedley Moffat|
|1999-00||Cr Don Cornish|
|2000-01||Cr Trevor Sinclair|
|2001-02||Cr Don Cornish|
|2002-03||Cr Eugene Hammer|
|2003-04||Cr Mark Kennedy|
|2004-05||Cr Lydia Kauzlaric|
|2005-06||Cr Jan Chantry|
|2006-07||Cr Ben Opie|
|2007-08||Cr Paul Giuliano|
|2008-09||Cr Paul Giuliano|
|2009-10||Cr Shirley Cornish|
|2010-11||Cr John Sipek|
|2011-12||Cr Jim Cusack|
|2012-13||Cr Narelle Sharpe|
|2013-14||Cr Jan Chantry|
|2014-15||Cr Narelle Sharpe|
|2015-16||Cr Andrea Surace|
|2016-17||Cr Andrea Surace|
|2017-18||Cr John Sipek|
|2018-19||Cr Narelle Sharpe|
|2019-20||Cr Samantha Byrne|
|2020-21||Cr Cam Nation|
Councillor-Community Dispute Resolution Policy
Council has developed a Councillor-Community Dispute Resolution Policy which provides a process for resolving disputes that may arise between a Councillor and a member of the community. To view the policy click here and search for Councillor – Community Dispute Resolution Policy.
The policy encourages Councillors and community members to try and resolve matters before commencing any formal process under the policy. However, in the event a dispute does remain unresolved following an informal resolution process, the policy provides an avenue for community members to formalise their complaint in writing and have the dispute facilitated by the Chief Executive Officer.
Donations and Grants register
The Donations and Grants Register contains information about who Council donated to and grants awarded by Council including the amount of each donation and grant.
Code of Conduct
Councillors are governed by a Code Of Conduct to maintain the highest standards of conduct and behaviour.
Councillor Gift Policy
The purpose of this policy is to provide guidance to councillors on the types of gifts, benefits and hospitality that can be accepted or those that must be declined.
In accordance with the Local Government Act 2020, Councillors are entitled to be reimbursed in relation to expenses incurred in their capacity as a Councillor.
Council has adopted the Councillor Expenses Policy and Procedure which provides a broad overview of how Council provides assistance and support to the Mayor and Councillors in carrying out their role and official duties.
To ensure greater transparency, we publish the reimbursement of Councillor expenses here on this page on a quarterly basis. The figures included in these reports may include expenses not incurred in the reporting period but processed by the administration in the reporting period.
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 July 2021 – 30 September 2021
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 April 2021 – 30 June 2021
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 January 2021 – 31 March 2021
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 October 2020 – 31 December 2020
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 July 2020 – 30 September 2020
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 April to 30 June 2020
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 January to 31 March 2020
- Previously Unreported Training and Development Expenses 2016-20
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 October to 31 December 2019
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 July to 30 September 2019
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 April 2019 to 30 June 2019
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 January 2019 to 31 March 2019
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 October 2018 to 31 December 2018
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 July 2018 to 30 September 2018
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 April - 30 June 2018
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 January - 31 March 2018
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 October - 30 December 2017
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 July - 30 September 2017
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 April - 30 June 2017
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 January - 31 March 2017
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 October - 31 December 2016
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 July - 30 September 2016
- Quarterly Declaration of Councillor Expenses 1 April - 30 June 2016
Political Party Membership
This Register contains details of political party memberships held by Councillors. The register includes both past and present memberships.
|Councillor||Current Membership||Previous Membership|
|Cr Cam Nation||Liberal Party of Australia|
|Cr Ava Adams|
|Cr Narelle Sharpe|
|Cr Katrina Hodgson||Australian Labor Party, since Nov 2010|
|Cr Jacob Bettio|
|Cr Rose Iser||Australian Labor Party, Sep 2014 – May 2015
Greens, Apr 2006 – May 2013
|Cr Samantha Byrne|
|Cr John Sipek||Australian Labor Party, 2005-2016|
|Cr Pierce Tyson||Australian Labor Party, since Jul 2013|
Councillor representatives to external bodies and other committees
- Audit and Risk Committee – Cr Adams, Cr Bettio and Cr Byrne;
- Essendon Airport/Essendon Fields Council Working Group – Cr Adams, Cr Nation, Cr Sharpe and Cr Tyson;
- Essendon Fields Airport (Community Aviation Consultation Group – CACG) – Cr Sharpe;
- Farnham Street Neighbourhood Learning Centre Committee of Management – Cr Iser and Cr Hodgson;
- Municipal Association of Victoria – Cr Iser (representative) and Cr Nation (substitute representative);
- Metropolitan Local Government Waste Forum – Cr Hodgson and a relevant Council Officer;
- Metropolitan Transport Forum – Cr Tyson and a relevant Council Officer;
- Western Melbourne Tourism Board – Cr Adams and a relevant Council Officer;
- Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria Consultative Group – Cr Hodgson and Cr Bettio.