What you need to know
Crown Street Stables
Enjoy the company of family and friends in the peaceful surroundings of this beautiful heritage building!
Crown Street Stables Cafe
This beautiful heritage building, nestled in Coronet Park, is one of the oldest working stables in the municipality. Built in 1886 as part of a private property, the stables were initially designed to lodge six horses. They have since been reported to have had many uses, including storing produce and accommodating the Light Horse Brigade during World War II.
Plans are moving forward to activate this vital community hub for locals, ensuring it remains a hall for hire for community groups and providing employment opportunities at the centre for those with a disability.
Please note: smoking is prohibited within 4 metres of the Crown Street Stables building and within 10 metres of the play equipment in Coronet Park. Coronet Park, including Crown Street Stables, is a designated dry area, meaning no alcohol can be consumed within the park or in the building.
The finer details:
- Open Monday to Friday, 7.30am to 4pm and Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 4pm (closed public holidays).
- Barista coffee/tea, fresh sandwiches, hot meals and desserts at affordable prices. Check out the full Crown Street Stables menu (pdf, 380KB)
A subsidy on menu items is available for Disability Support Pension Card and Disability Companion Card holders.
- EFTPOS is available (no Diners or American Express)
- The aim of the café is to keep the local residents connected, in particular older residents and those living in near-by housing estates, and to provide training and employment pathways for people with a disability through a social enterprise model.
- Loyalty coffee cards are available - buy 5 hot drinks and get the 6th one free!
- To book a table at the café, including the large meeting table, please contact the café on 9372 5350.
Address: 40 Crown St, Flemington
Phone: (03) 9372 5350
Come down to Crown Street Stables
This summer there are a range of events and activities including live music, classic movie screenings, yoga and tai chi and activities for the kids.
The Crown Street Stables café traineeship program is an initiative of Council’s Disability Action Plan which aims to improve employment outcomes for people with disability.
This 12-week program supports local people with a disability to gain valuable on-the-job work experience in a café environment in a safe and respectful environment.
Throughout the program trainees are provided with support to explore their future employment options and prepare for paid employment.
With flexible working hours this program aims to improve long-term employment outcomes for people with disability.
If you are interested in applying for this program please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
People with disability bring a range of valuable skills, qualifications and experience to the Australian workforce and we engage with external providers to assist with employment pathways for our graduates. Disability Employment Services (DES) support job seekers with disability and can help businesses when employing a person with a disability.
Catering for your event is available through our café by arrangement.
- Main hall 15x 10.8m
- Seating for up to 50 people
- Hall has heritage-listed wooden floorboards covered by carpet
- Reverse cycle air conditioners
- No Kitchen
- Male and Female toilets
- Wheelchair access and accessible toilet
- Street parking only
- 34 Trestle tables - 1800mm x 720
- 50 plastic chairs
Hall for hire
The upstairs room at Crown Street Stables is available for community or private hire with a capacity for up to 60 people.
The Loft can be used for events such as:
- Community meetings
- Family reunions
- Children's birthday parties
The facility cannot be booked for teenage birthdays, 18th or 21st.
For safety reasons, we do not allow jumping castles or animal farms in our facilities
Please note: Smoking is prohibited within Crown Street Stables building in Coronet Park.
Coronet Park, including Crown Street Stables, is a designated dry area, meaning no alcohol can be consumed within the park or in the building
Hire times are:
- 9am to 6pm for all casual bookings
- 9am to 10pm for regular hirers
Crown Street Loft is available to hire every day except for a shutdown period over Christmas. Dates will be blocked out starting from the 23 December each year.
2020 prices can be found on our Community Facilities page.