What you need to know
We know setting up a business can be hard, but we’re here to help. We’ve got plenty of resources to guide you through starting up your business and to help it thrive.
COVID-19 information for businesses
Council plays a vital role in ensuring public health and will continue to support DHHS as they work to ensure the health and safety of Victorians.
Moonee Valley’s shopping precincts remain open for business and we are in regular communication with our business associations to look at ways of communicating with customers and clients to provide a welcome message.
The below information is to help you navigate the latest support available to businesses.
Previous webinar recordings
- Coming out of lockdown - 13 business strategies to deploy
- Watch setting the right pathway to trade through the next wave of COVID-19 webinar
- Watch the Business experts speak on surviving COVID-19 webinar
- Watch the Cutting Through & Understanding the Government Stimulus Packages webinar
- Watch the Managing Staff in These Difficult Times webinar
- Watch the Business Support Webinar – Surviving & Growing through the COVID19 outbreak webinar
- Watch the Business after COVID19 – getting you back on track webinar
- Watch The Property Landscape - Present situation & market sentiment webinar (password: 5d&D8Zk@)
Let us help you.
Setting up your own business is exciting, but can also be challenging if you are not prepared.
We are here to take you through each step and help you understand what's ahead. If you already own a business and need some advice on how to grow, check out what services we have to support you.
What permits do I need for my new or existing business?
It is likely you will need at least one permit to operate your small business.
One of our friendly staff can help you figure out what type of permit/s you may need and will guide you through the permit application process.
We cover the following areas:
- food and health
- footpath trading
To find out more about each of these areas view the permit pages below.
If you require one permit or multiple permits and are ready to apply now?
Complete our small business approvals form.
Supporting our local businesses.
We also support our local business community by offering an annual series of events and workshops to provide the foundations for thriving businesses.
Local shopping and business precincts are the heart of our community.
The major shopping precincts are:
- Union Road, Ascot Vale
- Racecourse Road, Flemington
- Keilor Road, Niddrie
- Puckle Street, Moonee Ponds Business Precinct
- Essendon Junction, North Essendon
Council works closely with its local Trader Associations to make their business precincts strong and vibrant.
Special rates and charges
There are four business areas in Moonee Valley that collect a special rate and charge. Union Road, Niddrie, Moonee Ponds and Flemington. All the funds collected from the Special Rates and Charges are provided to the relevant trader associations and are used for marketing, business development, and the associated encouragement of commercial activity for the Business Precincts.
We consider that the Special Rates and Charges for these important Business Precincts will provide an added benefit to all properties and businesses within the boundary of the rates.
Flemington Chamber of Commerce
President: Jayson Watts
Moonee Ponds Chamber of Commerce
President: Ashlyn Trickett
Suburban Cellar Door
Niddrie Traders Association
President: Nick Mylk
MYLK & Honey
Essendon North Village Traders Association
President: Mark Errichiello
c/o Raine & Horne Essendon
1134B Mount Alexander Road Essendon, VIC 3040
President: Maria Iatrou
Going green is good for business
We all have to be more aware of our impact on the environment. It's not just about what we do at home, businesses can be green too.
Making your business sustainable
We encourage all our businesses to adopt healthy recycling habits and provide a fortnightly recycling service for all Moonee Valley businesses for a one off cost of $86. This includes the supply and delivery of a 240 litre yellow lid recycling bin.
If you would like more information contact our friendly customer service team on 03 9243 8888, or go ahead and order your recycling bin by completing request for landfill or recycling bin form (pdf, 80KB).
Transfer Station drop offs
Moonee Valley businesses can also take recyclables to our Transfer Station for free.
No matter what size your business is, being sustainable can help improve your business performance and profitability.
Order a free business
Have you been wondering how well your business is performing in its energy and water use?
You can borrow our new Business Environment Kit, which contains equipment and instructions to help you find ways of saving energy and water.
The kit contains:
Energy monitor – to measure energy consumption of appliances to see which ones need to be used sparingly, and where standby power is being drawn needlessly.
Energy smart thermometer – to measure hot water temperature, room temperature and fridge and freezer temperatures. You may have things hotter or colder than they need to be
Infra-red thermometer – to measure surface temperatures such as walls and windows. You may be losing or gaining heat, which can be fixed with insulation or shade
Light meter – to help apply the ideal light conditions in your work environment
Water flow measure cup – to assess how much water taps or showers use and to find out whether you should reduce the flow rates
Upgrade your solar and lighting with Energy$mart
Future-proof your business from rising energy costs by going solar and upgrading your lights through our Energy$mart program.
The program offers:
- free lighting and solar assessments by experienced and reputable providers
- no obligation quotations for quality products and installation
- a great return on investment through a solar system, with typical payback periods of between five and 10 years
- reduced energy costs by up to 80 per cent and dramatically reduced maintenance costs through long lasting LED lights
We have appointed reputable and experienced solar and lighting professionals to carry out the installations and efficient lighting retrofits for businesses, schools and community organisations across our neighbourhoods.
Contact our lighting and solar providers directly:
For more information call one of our friendly staff on 9243 8888.
Fund your sustainable upgrade through Building Upgrade Finance
Building upgrade finance allows commercial building owners to fund environmental improvement works, which are then repaid quarterly through your Council rates.
The long-term fixed interest finance can be used for projects that improve energy, water and waste performance in existing buildings.
Under a building upgrade agreement, a lender provides finance to a building owner and the local council collects repayments through the rates system. The council then passes the property charge onto the lender.
Building upgrade finance is a proven way to fund environmental building upgrades and can improve your working environment, create a more valuable asset, reduce your building’s carbon footprint, lower operating costs and retain tenants.
Existing commercial buildings can be funded through building upgrade finance such as:
- industrial buildings
- retail buildings
Building fabric insulation upgrade
Cool roof coating
External solar shading
Green roof installation
High performance windows
Reduce building infiltration/exfiltration
Domestic hot water sustainability via technology upgrade
Recued carbon on-site energy source
Grid-connected renewable energy, with or without battery storage
Solar thermal hot water
Power factor correction
Lighting control upgrades
Lighting technology upgrade
Drive and fan efficiency upgrades
Duct testing and sealing
Ducting and piping insulation
HVAC efficiency via control upgrade
HVAC technology upgrade
Permanent high efficiency commercial appliances
Permanent refrigeration upgrades
Pool efficiency upgrades
Water efficiency measures
Other programs and resources
There are a number of programs and resources that can help your business to actively reduce its negative impact on the environment.
- Sustainable Business Victoria
- Sustainable purchasing factsheet
- Reducing your refrigeration costs factsheet
- Efficient heating and cooling factsheet
- Waste reduction and recycling factsheet
More business information
- Business Victoria is a comprehensive online resource designed to help you start, run and grow your business
- The Australian Taxation Office (ATO)offers businesses free and practical tax support online, over the phone and face-to-face
- Moonee Valley City Council is a Small Business Friendly Council
- Victorian Chamber of Commerce & Industry offers information, programs and support to businesses
- Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions (DJPR) helps grow Victoria’s diverse and vibrant economy by supporting pro-business policies and programs and the development of innovative industries
- Department of Employment provides national leadership in education and workplace training, transition to work and conditions and values in the workplace
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) promotes competition and fair trade in the market place to benefit consumers, businesses and the community
- Australian Government business website offers you simple and convenient access to all the government information, forms and services you need
- For a detailed snapshot of Moonee Valley’s business make-up visit REMPLAN’s economic profile for the municipality