What you need to know

My Business

We know setting up a business can be hard, but we're here to help. We've got plenty of resources to guide you through starting up your business and to help it thrive.

Ready to apply?

If you require one or multiple permits and are ready to apply now, complete our Small Business Approvals Application Form.

Not sure which permit is right for you?

We can help. Submit an online enquiry via our new MyCouncil portal and a member of our customer service team will be able to assist you in finding the right permit for your small business.

Latest information: The Commercial Tenancy Relief Scheme explained

The PowerPoint slides from the FREE workshop by Milicevic Lawyers takes you through The Commercial Tenancy Relief Scheme.
The scheme was introduced to ease the financial hardship faced by Commercial Tenants as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Click here to view the slides.

Let us help you.

Setting up your own business is exciting, but can also be challenging if you are not prepared.

We are here to take you through each step and help you understand what's ahead. If you already own a business and need some advice on how to grow, check out what services we have to support you.

What permits do I need for my new or existing business?

It is likely you will need at least one permit to operate your small business.

One of our friendly staff can help you figure out what type of permit/s you may need and will guide you through the permit application process.

We cover the following areas:

To find out more about each of these areas view the permit pages above.

Fastfood restaurant interior design conceptual set with isolated isometric storeys of food court area and kitchen vector illustration

We run workshops and mentoring services to help you achieve your dreams.

Have a look at some of our upcoming events to see the ways your business could be improved.


27sep4:00 pm5:00 pmTips, Traps & FAQ’s: Vic Commercial Tenant Rent Relief Requests 2021Please note this is a community-run event not managed by Council.4:00 pm - 5:00 pm ZoomEvent Type :Business,Service


14oct10:00 am3:00 pmSmall Business Mentoring10:00 am - 3:00 pm OnlineEvent Type :Business

19oct9:00 am10:00 amManaging Mental Health in the Workplace9:00 am - 10:00 am OnlineEvent Type :Business

COVID-19 information for businesses

Council plays a vital role in ensuring public health and will continue to support DHHS as they work to ensure the health and safety of Victorians.

Moonee Valley's shopping precincts remain open for business and we are in regular communication with our business associations to look at ways of communicating with customers and clients to provide a welcome message.

The below information is to help you navigate the latest support available to businesses.

Grants for business

Council has been supporting local businesses to adapt to the challenges faced by the pandemic through our grants programs.

In 2021/22 we are offering grants to businesses delivering projects that will help revive our business precincts and benefit our whole community.

Find out more and apply on our grants program page.

Supporting our local businesses.

We have been working hard to support our local business community by offering events and programs.

Click here to take a look.

Victorian and Commonwealth Government support

The Victorian and Commonwealth governments are jointly funding new packages to give Victorian small and medium businesses support.

Find out more on the Business Victoria website.

COVID-19 planning exemptions

The Victorian Government has introduced exemptions to the Victorian Planning Scheme Clause 52.18 (State of emergency and recovery exemptions) to support the hospitality sector utilise outdoor dining as part of the response to COVID-19.

Click here to learn more.

Local shopping and business precincts are the heart of our community.

The major shopping precincts are:

  • Union Road, Ascot Vale
  • Racecourse Road, Flemington
  • Keilor Road, Niddrie
  • Puckle Street, Moonee Ponds Business Precinct
  • Essendon Junction, North Essendon
  • Strathmore

Council works closely with its local Trader Associations to make their business precincts strong and vibrant.

Special rates and charges

There are four business areas in Moonee Valley that collect a special rate and charge. Union Road, Niddrie, Moonee Ponds and Flemington. All the funds collected from the Special Rates and Charges are provided to the relevant trader associations and are used for marketing, business development, and the associated encouragement of commercial activity for the Business Precincts.

We consider that the Special Rates and Charges for these important Business Precincts will provide an added benefit to all properties and businesses within the boundary of the rates.

Business Associations

Flemington Chamber of Commerce

President: Jayson Watts
Nelson Alexander

Centre Manager: Anna Henderson
Telephone: 0401 042 194
Email: anna@x2marketing.com.au
Website: https://www.flemingtontraders.com.au/

Moonee Ponds Chamber of Commerce

President: Roy Habibis

Centre Manager: Anna Henderson
Telephone: 0401 042 194
Email: anna@x2marketing.com.au


Niddrie Traders Association

President: Position Vacant
Niddrie Traders Association

Centre Manager: Silvana Troiani
Telephone: 0417 313 423
Email: info@niddrieshopping.com.au
Website: https://www.niddrieshopping.com.au/


Essendon North Village Traders Association

President: Tony Kyriakidis
King of Clippers
1134B Mount Alexander Road Essendon, VIC 3040

Telephone: 9379 8594
Email: tony@kingofclippers.com.au

Union Road Traders Association

Website: https://www.unionroad.com.au

President: Maria Iatrou
Espresso 155
Email: espresso155union@gmail.com

Secretary: Meryn Pratt
HQ Melbourne
Telephone: 0419 321 771
Email: secretary@unionroad.com.au

Precinct Manager: Bonnie Lethlean
Telephone: 0409 553 228
Email: unionroadtraders@unionroad.com.au

Going green is good for business

We all have to be more aware of our impact on the environment. It's not just about what we do at home, businesses can be green too.

Making your business sustainable

Business recycling

We encourage all our businesses to adopt healthy recycling habits and provide a fortnightly recycling service for all Moonee Valley businesses for a one off cost of $98. This includes the supply and delivery of a 240 litre yellow lid recycling bin.

If you would like more information contact our friendly customer service team on 03 9243 8888, or go ahead and order your recycling bin by completing a request for service.

Transfer Station drop offs

Moonee Valley businesses can also take recyclables to our Transfer Station for free.

recycleNo matter what size your business is, being sustainable can help improve your business performance and profitability.

Fund your sustainable upgrade through Building Upgrade Finance

Building upgrade finance allows commercial building owners to fund environmental improvement works, which are then repaid quarterly through your Council rates.

The long-term fixed interest finance can be used for projects that improve energy, water and waste performance in existing buildings.

Under a building upgrade agreement, a lender provides finance to a building owner and the local council collects repayments through the rates system. The council then passes the property charge onto the lender.

Building upgrade finance is a proven way to fund environmental building upgrades and can improve your working environment, create a more valuable asset, reduce your building's carbon footprint, lower operating costs and retain tenants.

Existing commercial buildings can be funded through building upgrade finance such as:

  • offices
  • industrial buildings
  • retail buildings
  • hospitals
  • hotels

Solar Fund Brochure

Upgrade Fund Brochure

Building upgrades
Building fabric insulation upgrade
Cool roof coating
External solar shading
Green roof installation
High performance windows
Reduce building infiltration/exfiltration

Energy sources
Domestic hot water sustainability via technology upgrade
Recued carbon on-site energy source
Grid-connected renewable energy, with or without battery storage
Solar thermal hot water
Power factor correction

Lighting control upgrades
Lighting technology upgrade

Plant upgrades
Drive and fan efficiency upgrades
Duct testing and sealing
Ducting and piping insulation
HVAC efficiency via control upgrade
HVAC technology upgrade
Permanent high efficiency commercial appliances
Permanent refrigeration upgrades
Pool efficiency upgrades

Blackwater system
Greywater system
Rainwater system
Water efficiency measures

Other programs and resources

There are a number of programs and resources that can help your business to actively reduce its negative impact on the environment.

More business information 

  • For a detailed snapshot of Moonee Valley's business make-up visit REMPLAN's economic profile for the municipality