What you need to know

Temporary road closure or street party

Temporary road closure or street party

We are currently experiencing longer than normal wait times for customers calling to discuss permit applications.

If you wish to get in touch with our Technical Permits Department about an application please e-mail tpermits@mvcc.vic.gov.au and one of our staff will reply within 2 working days.


You must obtain a temporary road closure permit for the closure of any part of the road streetfor special events such as:

  • fun runs
  • street parties
  • community events

There will be no fee for the above events.

Applicants must state the following:

  • Date, time, duration and location of the event
  • Purpose of the closure
  • Length of closure (from street to street)
  • Include a copy of public liability insurance of $10 million cover

If you require the closure of any part of a road for the purpose of conducting a street party or gathering, you must apply for a temporary road closure permit by completing the Temporary Road Closure/Street Party online application.

All applications must be submitted to us at least 10 working days before the event.

We are committed to reimbursing residents the fee for public liability insurance.

If for any other reasons there is a road or traffic lane closure, you will need to apply for a Road Occupancy permit (pdf, 244KB) or a Works within a Municipal Road Reserve online application.

For more information view our Temporary Road Closure Policy by clicking here and searching for Temporary Road Closure and Occupancy Policy.