What you need to know

Out of hours construction work permit

Out of hours construction work permit

With the exceptions of emergencies or planning permits, construction works can only be carried out between the hours of:

  • 7am and 6pm Monday to Friday
  • 9am and 3pm on Saturday
  • No works on Sundays or public holidays  

You must have an Out of Hours Permit to conduct construction works outside of the permitted hours outlined in the General Purposes Local Law 2008 or an endorsed Construction Management Plan.

An Out of Hours Permit is available to construction sites if:

  • the nature of the work is more practical to be undertaken on a weekend
  • works cannot be fit into a typical working day
  • over-sized vehicle loads that cannot be transported during normal working hours
  • a service authority require works out of hours
  • to reduce disruptions to public transport or power shut downs
  • to reduce restrictions to surrounding businesses and residents

How to apply

Complete and return an Out of Hours Permit application form (docx, 41KB).

 The following MUST be attached:

  • A copy of the notification letter to residents. This must be approved by Council prior to being sent out. 
  • A map of the notification zone and houses to be notified.
  • A copy of Traffic Management Plan (TMP).

The notification letter must include the following:

  • The date the letter is to be distributed.
  • A description of the work, full site address and location.
  • The purpose for the out of hours construction works.
  • A description of the works approved, including type of works, location of works and potential amenity impact including any road or foot path closures.
  • The date and time the work will be undertaken.
  • A locality plan of the site (to be provided on the reverse side of the letter).
  • The name and phone number of a contact person on site and during the works.

If you have an Out of Hours Permit, you must adhere to the permit conditions. If an officer determines there has been a breach, you will have to cease work, your permit will be revoked and you may receive a planning infringement notice.

Applications are to be emailed to outofhourspermits@mvcc.vic.gov.au. A ten day (10) minimum is required to process the application and allow for a seven day (7) notification to residents and businesses.

If you require the permit urgently please visit the Planning Counter at our Civic Centre, 9 Kellaway Avenue Moonee Ponds between 8.30am and 5pm weekdays with all the required paperwork.