Everyone needs a little time to relax, unwind.
The State Government requires activity centres to operate as vibrant hubs containing a mix of residential dwellings, shops, services and public transport and play a role in housing Melbourne’s growing population.
Moonee Valley has five activity centres:
- Airport West
- Essendon Junction
- Keilor Road and North Essendon
- Moonee Ponds
- Union Road and Racecourse Road.
Our role is to develop a long-term plan for these centres to ensure that:
- growth is managed appropriately
- new locations for community facilities are identified
- transport infrastructure improvements are coordinated
- there is a clear advocacy plan for State Government projects.
Structure plans map out a long-term direction of how our activity centres should grow and develop. Work is underway to align these plans with MV2040. Our first piece of work is for Moonee Ponds.
Moonee Ponds Activity Centre Local Plan
Council has developed the draft MPAC to 2040 – Moonee Ponds Activity Centre Local Plan which is proposed to replace the current Moonee Ponds Activity Centre Structure Plan (PDF, 20.4MB). The Local Plan supports the directions of MV2040 and outlines a vision for the activity centre that is beautiful, green, easy to move around, full of life, and celebrates the area’s heritage character. Council is also proposing new planning controls that will help realise this vision.
Submissions for informal consultation have closed, and we are in the process of reviewing the submissions we received. We will use the information to finalise the Local Plan, background documents and planning controls.
You can still view the Local Plan, planning controls and other background documents by visiting the MPAC Your Say page.
Racecourse Road Activity Centre
Over that past four years, we have been developing long term planning documents to oversee the growth and change of the Racecourse Road Activities Area.
Pin Oak Crescent streetscape upgrade
We will soon be making improvement works to the eastern footpath of Pin Oak Crescent between Racecourse Road and Newmarket Station underpass, and Norwood Street intersection, as well as the corner plaza space at the intersection of Pin Oak Crescent and Racecourse Road by the rail bridge.
Proposed design (pdf, 276KB) includes the following and can be found in the poster below;
- New paving
- Replacement of timber retaining edge at rail batter with new brick seating wall
- Upgrade to corner plaza at the intersection of Racecourse Road and Pin Oak Crescent with new paving, planting and relocated seating
- Retention of existing kerb, roadway and street parking
- Retention of existing trees
- Infill planting to existing garden beds
- Upgrade to some of the existing drainage pits
The construction work is scheduled for the financial year 2019/2020.
Exact construction timing and duration will be determined once contractor is appointed.